Monday, July 27, 2009

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary


This is one of my all time favorite books to read in the Fall. Okay I'm a bit early but I do so love Fall. I read all of the Ramona Quimby series in elementary school. I discovered how great the audio books (read by Stockard Channing) were as an adult. This particular book has Ramona entering kindergarten so we've been reading it to Katherine as she is going herself in 2 weeks. Beverly Cleary has such talent into taking you right back to seeing the world as a child. One of my favorite scenes has Ramona getting wild with frustration at her friend Howie who never gets excited and when she pulls a classmate's curls just to see it bounce back (BOING). If you haven't discovered Ramona you're in for a treat! However, I'm disappointed in the new illustrations. Doesn't she look much more interesting in the 1968 version?! Or maybe I'm just getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Those were my favorite books when I was younger too. I'm hoping Emma will read them, she is in to Junie B. Jones right now. And yes I like the 1968 pictures better. Maybe we are getting older.:)

    ReplyDelete