Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chocolate Cake


It turns out that one of my husband's favorite books to read aloud is "The Cat in the Hat". One of my favorites to read is a Little Golden Book called "A Day on the Farm". It follows the day of a family living on a farm and ends with company coming over for dinner and the mom has cooked a homemade chocolate cake. Chuck pointed out that all my fav's involve a chocolate cake somehow. This has escaped me before but he's right! Here are a few of my fav's.


I love the scene in the book "Matilda" where a boy steals a piece of the headmistress's cake and is then forced to eat the entire thing as punishment. And who didn't love the movie "Chocolat" with Johnny Depp?! My favorite scene is the priest climbing into the store front to shove chocolate into his mouth with both hands.


And the idea of finding a golden ticket in the wrapper of a chocolate bar is magical, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". But falling into a flowing river of chocolate and clogging a tube is hilarious!


My brother won a book from a summer reading program many years ago called "Grandfather's Cake". It's a sweet story about two small boys that deliver a piece of grandma's chocolate cake to their grandfather who is up in the hills watching his sheep. They encounter some shady characters on their journey but with the help of Peaches the contrary pony they make it to Grandfather and they all eat the cake together while Peaches munches an apple.


Chocolate cake just adds something special to any story. We love you chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment