Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chickens, You're My Obsession



I have been interested in having some chickens for fresh eggs for about a year now. However, after watching Martha's recent show on chickens I'm obsessed. Everyone in her studio audience brought their pet chicken and held it in their lap like a cat. Martha loved on a chicken in her lap almost the entire show. I've never seen or heard about this kind of behavior from a chicken. I had no idea they could be considered a pet.

I checked out this book from the library, "Living With Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock" by Jay Rossier. I really liked this book, it was interesting and entertaining! What little did I know about chickens. An egg, what little miracles they are.

Last week I was just surfing some blogs about nothing in particular and came across this fascinating woman's chicken coop! I've never seen the likes. It makes chicken husbandry look "chic". You must go there yourself as she doesn't want anyone copying her gorgeous photos.
Then, today in Home Depot I was just waiting around for the hubby when I spotted this magazine called "Organic Gardening" with a beautiful chicken on the cover! I had to have it. Surely I am meant to have chickens!?


There has been some debate over whether or not I should pursue this new hobby as our neighborhood covenants clearly state "no chickens, goats, or hogs". I was crushed at first but now I'm scheming. We'll get a fence......I'll share the fresh eggs......we won't even have a rooster....what's the big deal..........
This chicken thing is NOT over.

No comments:

Post a Comment