Friday, July 30, 2010

Must Make it to 10,000

Several years ago I walked off my first bout with baby weight using the 10,000 step program.  You wear a pedometer that counts how many steps you take and ideally it should read 10,000 at the end of the day.  The first day was an eye opener for me as I would have told you that I was "active" considering I had a baby and we lived in a large two story house.  At the end of the first day it read 3,000.  Which is called "sedentary".  What an awful word.  So I began wearing the pedometer at all times.  Even going to the trouble of clipping it onto my underwear for a night time potty break and stepping in place whilst brushing my teeth.  At the end of the day if I hadn't reached the magic number I would head out and not come home until it did.  The weight did come off.  I also found that listening to a story on my MP3 player helped make the time go by as sometimes it would take an hour. 

I have gone through several pedometers since then.  If you would like to do this program you MUST invest in a quality pedometer.  My latest and favorite one is by Omron and is available at Amazon.com for $27.50.  It is digital so the counting mechanism never gets stuck and stops counting.  There's nothing worse than to discover it's not been counting for half your day.  My Omron hasn't disappointed me yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment